Sunday, November 13, 2011

"Tonight, we have had the privilege of witnessing the greatest exhibition of guts and stamina in the history of the ring."

I was going to give credit to Marquez, who tactically was superb and certainly close. He might have won had his corner not lulled him into fighting the 11th and 12th so carefully, telling him he was winning. However, he showed himself to be the most delusional boxer on the planet, even more than Joel Casamayor, and worse, a poor sportsman. He was lucky one judge even called it a draw, but I expect he'll get new T-shirts, "I beat Manny Pacquiao three times."

Marquez would do well to take advice from Miguel Cotto, who said in a pre-recorded post-fight presentation, "I took my defeat like a man." That guy has every reason in the world to be bitter, yet he's doing what a real man would do: fight again, with stronger safeguards to ensure the cheating bastard can't do a repeat performance. In all truth, I don't know why anyone bothers to give Margarito so much as the time of day.

But the title of this post doesn't refer to the main event. I'm talking about Miguel Alvarado, who tonight personified courage by giving everything he had in the 10th (final round) to win by TKO. In the 30 years I've watched boxing, I've never seen such a comeback.

And as an example to Marquez, Breidis Prescott took his loss to Alvarado like a man. No excuses, no delusions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home