Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Remembering Payne Stewart

I didn't realize until today that I missed it: two days ago was ten years since Payne Stewart died tragically in that terrible plane crash. A co-worker had heard it on the news and told me (he didn't even know who Stewart was, only that it was a top golfer), and I was so shocked that I immediately called my father.

My parents and I were always big fans. How could you not be of the most colorful dresser on any tour, who was known for style, graceful conduct and charity?

I'll never forget his Sunday outfit at that one British Open, with his shirt based on the U.S. flag. I forget how Nick Faldo joked about it, all in good fun.

Stewart reputedly said, "That's why I'm very proud of being American. I'm proud to pay taxes. I pay a lot of taxes, but it sure beats the alternative." Well, nobody's perfect. Fortunately he stuck to golf instead of going into politics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home