Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hypocrisy, thy new[est] name is Bill O'Reilly

"When you're a "culture warrior" and you're pissed off by something sexy on the TV, what do you do? Why show it again, in its entirety!"

Indeed! Despite all his self-righteous ranting that this Guitar Hero commercial, featuring Heidi Klum in her underwear, could be seen by children, he found the, ahem, personal integrity to play it twice. It's like when my father would joke about eating a new ice cream: "I don't recommend this. I'm eating it only to build my character."

"I don't know what [Guitar Hero] is. Is that a, is that a video game? Is that a video game? ... Oh it is. Those things frighten me."

Here's a man who's still stuck in the 20th century. The mid-20th century. You don't have to like something to know what it is.

"No one cares if you're offended. Is that appropriate for broadcast TV?"

He said the two sentences as if they're unrelated. He stated the first to whatever-her-name-is, then asked the second sentence in an absolute sense. That's because he is offended, and he must therefore stop it: he might as well told her bluntly, "Who cares what you think, it's what I think that's important!"

I suggest that if O'Reilly is truly bothered by offensive imagery, and he can't bring himself to change channels, then let him move to Singapore, where the government will "protect" him from all forms of harmful speech and images.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home