Monday, April 16, 2007

"It was raining in the city by the bay...the hard rain."

Brownie points to whoever can identify that Trek quote.

I was talking with someone tonight and joked about "coming down right now" to the Bronx to give her a little present I'd picked up earlier. She said, "How about you do that!" and was very serious. So, I figured, why not, even at 9 p.m. on a Sunday when I work the next day. We'd just get coffee and that would be it. There was one problem, though: the torrential rains hadn't let up all freaking day. Even now, coming up on 1 a.m., it's still coming down with howling winds.

Well, I take that back. The problem was with the idiot drivers who can't handle wet roads, not the rain itself. I had no problem at all going down I-684 at 75, flying by others seemed to have trouble maintaining 50. My car doesn't even have rain-rated tires. Now, the Hutchinson and Bronx River Parkways do flood badly in this kind of weather, and it's proper that they were closed, but what the frig was up with the mile-long backup going from I-287 onto southbound I-95? And as always, you have the goddamn morons who go as far as they can, then try to butt into the exit lane 50 feet before the ramp. There must be a special circle of hell just for them.

I spent 20 minutes waiting to get on I-95, then another 40 running around Purchase and eventually doubling back. I should have given up then and there and went straight home, but I thought I'd give the Sprain Parkway a try. It was wide and clear, but just before it joins the Bronx River Parkway, we were diverted onto Central Avenue. Eventually I doubled back and went home, which disappointed the two of us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lord Boner said...

YOU HAD GOOD INTENTIONS - THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS MY FRIEND. MAKE SURE TO COME DOWN LIKE THE HARD RAIN AND GIVE IT TO HER ASAP.

LORD BONER HAS SPOKEN...

Monday, April 16, 2007 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger blogantine said...

ST:TNG
Season 1, episode 11
"The Big Good-bye"

Spoken by Data to justify his accompanying Picard on a holodeck jaunt to 1940's era San Francisco.

DATA: I have mastered the lingo of the period. Example: It was raining in the city of Angels -- a hard rain -- almost hard enough to wash the slime from the streets. But it never does. When the rain stops, the boulevard dries and the snakes once again slink from their holes. That's when my door opens and the helpless, the desperate, walk through with a heart full of hurt and a pocket full of nothing.

Monday, April 16, 2007 2:10:00 PM  
Blogger Sola Gratia said...

Ah, yes. What a great quote. I'm appalled that I am enough of a Trekkie to remember that exact quote.

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home