Thursday, March 01, 2007

Two years later

It was two years ago tonight (earlier) that I launched the Eidelblog. It's been quite a ride: meeting Paul Krugman, being slimed by Brad DeLong, getting into arguments with liberals, but also meeting Don Luskin, Larry Kudlow and Alan Reynolds. I've also met Jackie and Eric.

A lot of you have stayed faithful readers even though I often lack the time and energy to put something out every day, and I cannot express how much I appreciate it. There's been a lot of news I've missed on which I wanted to offer not insignificant commentary. The latest thing keeping me busy is studying to get my Series 7 license, the general license for trading securities. Though I'm in compliance, not financial advising let alone trading, one of my compliance duties is scrutinizing trades. The education will certainly come in handy.

Sometimes I feel like we're just reliving the same nightmare of Big Government, over and over, and I wonder if there's anything really new to say in my blog. The details change, but the stories tend to stay the same: assaults on liberty. For example, several dozen members of Congress want to pass a law against oil and gasoline "price gouging." I've written at length on the myth of price gouging (lots of posts there). God help us, because the Democrats with Republican support could well plunge us into 1970s-style lines.

At times I get discouraged, but let's remember a great line from my favorite movie. In "Casablanca," Rick asked a wounded Victor Laszlo, "Don't you sometimes wonder if it's worth all this? I mean, what you're fighting for?" Laszlo replied, "We might as well question why we breathe. If we stop breathing, we'll die. If we stop fighting our enemies, we'll die." Our true enemies are not bad economics or bad policies, but those who lord themselves over us by enacting the policies. Our true enemies are not our own vices and shortcomings that harm no one but ourselves, but those busybodies who self-righteously deny us the freedom of conscience; they are not our brethren, but rather among the worst of our enemies.

Modern liberals crusade against ignorance, poverty and greed, while conservatives assail immorality and unpatriotic behavior. Those of us who know better are waging the ages-old battle against tyranny in all its forms. We struggle against those who assert their "superior" morals in caring for the poor, keeping our virtues intact, or making society and the economy run "smoothly" according to their dictates. Some harbor evil desires about wielding power over others, while others have "misguided" intentions with superficially noble purposes. We must never accept the latter kind's typical excuse that it at least was well-intentioned, and instead show it no mercy as we likewise show no mercy to the former. In this fight, we must never capitulate, nor can we retreat in our demand for freedom, and compromise is not an option. While waiting for appropriate times, it is permissible and certainly prudent that we can remain quiet in our actions, but we must never be so in our hearts, for the day continually grows nearer, I promise you, when the fight will exceed mere words and computers after shall declare:

We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They infringe upon our liberties, and we fall back. They take away countless specifics of our God-given rights, and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And God will them repay for what they've done!

Beware of the politico, pundit and especially teacher who touts "compromise." Contrary to the myth taught to most of us in school, compromise does not allow us all to "get along." Compromise only allows one side with long-term resolve to trick the other into concession and complacency.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats to you! Here's to many more years.

Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:31:00 AM  
Blogger Karol said...

That was me, not sure how I was signed in as "poker" :-)

Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home