Thursday, September 28, 2006

An announcement -- good news

And I thought I was busy before. Work was taking a lot out of me, apparently more than I thought. For a few months I've generally needed to sleep much earlier than the usual 1, 2, 3 a.m. to which I was accustomed. A few nights ago, I stayed up until 2 a.m. to complete a proposal, and I was amazed to make it through the next day. Last night I got nearly eight hours.

It's not official yet, pending final approval from my Chief Compliance Officer, but hopefully that's just a formality. Starting very soon, I'll be freelance writing for Intrade. You may be more familiar with it as TradeSports. Most people think Intrade in terms of "betting," which strictly speaking is true, but stock markets are also about "betting" in the general sense of the word. However, Intrade and similar venues are more properly termed prediction markets. My friend Chris Masse specializes in them and has a lot of good stuff on his site.

I'm indebted again to Don Luskin, and to John Delaney, Intrade's CEO, for this opportunity. Mr. Delaney recently asked Don if he knew someone who could do a once-weekly newsletter, analyzing recent political developments in the 2006 elections and the "action" in the related futures contracts. Don recommended me, so a few nights ago I put together a rudimentary sample, and things appear ready to go.

Each newsletter will be about one or two pages' worth, including charts, and I'll rotate through the more prominent contracts. The coverage may seem superficial to those familiar with prediction markets, but there are a couple of important factors: it's a newsletter, not an op-ed or academic paper, and Mr. Delaney also wants it to help introduce people to prediction markets and illustrate how the processes work.

It will be principally weekend work, I think, so hopefully soon I can get a hold of my schedule during the week so I can blog more often. It's been so long since I thought of a good Trek quote, let alone put up a Daily Star Trek Quote challenge.

4 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

Congrats! Very well deserved.

Friday, September 29, 2006 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger TKC said...

Perry is hitting the big time.

Congrats.

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:10:00 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Congrats dude!

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:26:00 PM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

Thanks, guys. The money, of course, is the most obvious compensation (in fact I was surprised by John's offer, which evidently means I was lowballing myself). But I jumped at this principally because I always wanted to write. Not just blog, but write in a professional venue.

It's amazing how things happen. I came across Econopundit in June 2003, because I found something Econopundit wrote on the trade deficit. I followed the link to Don's blog, and eventually he encouraged me when I thought of starting my own blog. Then Chris started reading my blog and introduced me to the concept of prediction markets.

Sunday, October 01, 2006 6:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home