Friday, August 04, 2006

Daily Star Trek Quote Challenge, 8/4/2006

- I am acquainted with the Yamato, Commander. Recommend the aft station of their bridge. When in doubt, surprise them.

- Them? Who's them?

- Whoever may be there.

- Sensors show no life signs.

- Still...the tactic is sound.

- Agreed.


As the Enterprise's sister ship, it would have a very similar bridge design. Maybe that person meant he's "acquainted with the Yamato" in that he knows the location of typical personnel?

I was reminded of this episode this morning when I found myself muttering, "One PDF, ONE PDF!" to myself. Someone had sent me a PDF, which I printed to a network printer since my personal laser's toner is low. I thought maybe Adobe was printing the other PDF the person sent me (which was also open), because the pages looked similar but weren't right. Then I realized, oh, the network printer was on two-sided printing, and I was comparing the PDF's first page to the printout's second page (all pages are very similar). I think it's a good sign that I'm really, really tired, and/or that I'm need of a good Scotch.

5 Comments:

Blogger blogantine said...

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Episode 128 - "Where Silence Has Lease"

WORF: I am acquainted with the Yamato, Commander. Recommend the aft station of their bridge. When in doubt, surprise them.

RIKER: Them? Who's them?

WORF: Whoever may be there.

RIKER: Sensors show no life signs.

WORF: Still...the tactic is sound.

RIKER: Agreed.

--

I've never liked episodes that have beings with what we perceive as god-like powers. If there are so many of them in the universe that the Federation runs into them as often as it does (in it's relatively small sphere of experience), and if they are as childlike (Squire of Gothos) or as whimsical (Q) or as curious (Naglium) as they appear to be then it stands to reason that there's be some sort of intermediary beings. Much more powerful than Humans/Vulcans/Klingons, yet much less powerful than the "gods." Can you recall any?

Friday, August 04, 2006 7:11:00 PM  
Blogger TKC said...

Tin Man from TNG.
The Tkon Empire from the TNG ep The Last Outpost.
The Borg.

There are others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Friday, August 04, 2006 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger blogantine said...

I'll concede the Tin Man, and maybe the greek gods from "Who mourns for Adonis," but:
1) the Tkon Empire was a half million years ago and aren't running around anymore
2) The Borg are only marginally more advanced than the Federation

It's as if there were few/no intermediate (in power or reach) species above the ant and below the human

Friday, August 04, 2006 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger blogantine said...

'John Doe' is close to what I'm looking for, but 'The Traveler,' while powerful, is far from 'god-like.' I guess there are more than I had thought, and that the huge evolutionary leap 'John Doe' experiences may argue against a steady uptick in ability. One day you're a normal being, the next you're close to god-like.

Saturday, August 05, 2006 3:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reginald Barclay in "The Nth Degree" :D

Seriously, though, the Cytherians they meet at the end of the episode.

-Emotive. Electro-chemical stimulus-response. Cranial plate.
Bipedal locomotion. Endoskeletal. Contiguous external integument.

-I am Jean-Luc Picard, Captain of the Federation Starship Enterprise.

-Hierarchical collective command structure!

-Who are you?

-Interrogative.


That, my friends, has got to be close to the top of my list of favorite episodes, and scenes.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 12:28:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home