Saturday, July 22, 2006

The new Transformers movie

My friend Charlie just sent me a link that made me feel 20 years younger. It was announced today at Comic-Con that Peter Cullen, who was the voice of Optimus Prime (and Ironhide, as it was common for the voice actors to do multiple characters) in the original 1980s Transformers cartoon series, will again be Prime's voice in the upcoming live-action Transformers movie (!). IGN.com reports the announcement here, and the trailer can be found on the official movie site.

I didn't see the trailer until today. Immediately I wondered how true the movie will be to the original series, which I consider canon. I stopped watching the cartoon after the 1986 animated movie, maybe because I was 10 years old and wanted to grow up too fast, but I think more because, well, they killed off Prime! It's a pity that the movie was released before the G.I. Joe movie was completed, instead of the other way around. Duke was originally supposed to die, but it was changed to a coma because of immense fan backlash from Prime's death. Duke was certainly cool, but Snake Eyes was the man anyway, and most importantly, there was no other Prime than Optimus. When I write "Prime," I mean only Optimus Prime, damn it. Hotrod/Rodimus was ok, but he was no Optimus.

The new movie could have brought Prime back, but that's too easy. A perfectly plausible plot could ignore the 1986 movie entirely, like the new "Superman" (which follows the second, ignoring the terrible third and fourth movies). Instead, the trailer makes it look like humans will be encoutering the Autobots and Decepticons for the first time. Hmm.

If it really ruins the storyline, then Peter Cullen's voice, even with a Prime faithful to the original character, would not be enough to save the movie for me. I've been meaning to do a review of the new "Superman" movie, which disappointed me in a few things; I don't think it's as good as the first two movies. Then again, the new Transformers movie must be made for a new generation that likely never saw the original cartoon. Some die-hard X-Men fans don't like the movie trilogy because of the deviations from the comics, which I can understand, but I never read the original comics and so have a much easier time accepting the movies.

3 Comments:

Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I really want Transformes to just kick butt, but I have a sneaking suspicion it isn't going to live up to expectations

Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:24:00 AM  
Blogger TKC said...

The worst thing they could have done in the Mad Max series was to wreck and then blow up the V8 Interceptor. That car was half the show. The train chase in Thunderdome just didn't cut it.

It is like all the rumors of bringing Firefly back. It just would not be the same without Wash or Book.

Monday, July 24, 2006 3:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think its going to be a disaster. did you see the truck that was supposed to be prime. he wasn't red at all he was orange with fire on the sides. the nose look like it pinochio. i don't know how the hell his going to transform in that truck

Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home