Sunday, June 11, 2006

More on the NYPD's harassment and subjugation of the people

Midway through my previous post, I noted what signs are actually at the corner.

17 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Let me guess, when these cabs stop in the lane you are talking about and stand there for as long as it takes for a fare to come around they are jamming up a traffic lane. There is a reason the sign is there, it's to keep traffic flowing so people can get to where they are going without getting stuck behind cabs stopped all the time in traffic lanes. The Cops are just doing there job. Why don't you mind your own business, cops hate having to listen to nonsense from people like you.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

Let me guess, "Paul," that you have zero clue about New York City and have probably never even been there.

Vanderbilt Avenue has two southbound lanes as it approaches 43rd Street. There is a "No entry" sign at the south end of the intersection, and all traffic must turn right (westbound onto 43rd Street). If you knew anything about New York City, you'd know it has the most aggressive drivers in the world. Every driver knows to go around a stopped cab, and it's a testament to the busiest city in the world that I've never seen a traffic jam at that intersection. Except, that is, when the NYPD has things blocked off.

Regarding cabs that stop and wait for fares, if you had the slightest clue about how taxi companies in any city operate, you'd know that cabbies don't make money sitting around. And at Grand Central Station, there are always fares.

Next time, please spare us from your ignorant (in the most literal sense) opinion. Why don't you mind your own business, because my readers hate having to listen to nonsense from people like you.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:14:00 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Even if a cab does not have to wait long for a fare to come along, cabs always have to wait while fares get into the cab. Especially at Grand Central when many fares are carrying luggage and take even longer to get in the cab. You know when the cab driver parks the cab, gets out and puts the luggage in the trunk. Yes, NYC is very busy that is why waiting for people to load up in these stopped cabs taking up a traffic lane causes additional traffic problems.

Grand Central has a TAXI STAND for the purpose of cab pickup to avoid these kinds of problems. You and the taxi should be using it instead of whining about this nonsense.

Since there is a sign there that you admit says "no stopping" and only the clueless would realize the stop sign is an allowable exception. Then the cops are enforcing the law which is what they do. As i said before, mind your own business and let the cops do thier job.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:10:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

This statement makes me wonder if you have ever been lived in NYC or just like most people that bother the police while they are working and simply don't have a clue.
"Regarding cabs that stop and wait for fares, if you had the slightest clue about how taxi companies in any city operate, you'd know that cabbies don't make money sitting around. And at Grand Central Station, there are always fares."

Cabs in NYC wait for fares all the time in locations where they know a fare is likely to come along. If you knew how cabs all over the world worked as you claim then you would know that a cab who has to drive around trolling for fares and wasting gas until he gets flagged down is less effecient than a cab that can stop and stand in a likely area where people will be needing cabs.
Maybe you don't get out much because if you did you would seen all the cabs illegally double parked in front of bars and night clubs from 1-4 AM as they wait for bar patrons who need cabs.
This same logic applies to Grand Central because fares are likely to be there. Hey, could that be why there is a designated TAXI STAND at Grand Central... Good, now you are learning.

You may have noticed there are thousands of cabs in the city and if they were allowed to stop and stand all around Grand Central they would. They would double park on Vanderbilt Ave and take up both traffic lanes if they were allowed too.
So next time you see a cop you should say "thank you" for making it possible for traffic to move better in this very busy city.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 1:30:00 AM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

Even if a cab does not have to wait long for a fare to come along, cabs always have to wait while fares get into the cab. Especially at Grand Central when many fares are carrying luggage and take even longer to get in the cab. You know when the cab driver parks the cab, gets out and puts the luggage in the trunk. Yes, NYC is very busy that is why waiting for people to load up in these stopped cabs taking up a traffic lane causes additional traffic problems.

What traffic problems? Clearly you've never been to the city, let alone observed this intersection, because every competent driver knows to go around USING THE SECOND LANE.

SECOND LANE.

SECOND LANE. Get it now?

Grand Central has a TAXI STAND for the purpose of cab pickup to avoid these kinds of problems. You and the taxi should be using it instead of whining about this nonsense.

Oh, Mr. Obviously Non-New Yorker, did you look that up? Grand Central's taxi stand is on 42nd Street. Many of us exit at 43rd and Vanderbilt because we go north, and because 42nd's traffic can be atrocious. Thus there are many conveniences to getting a cab on Vanderbilt, which until the NYPD said so was NEVER a problem. So thank you very much, but it's a waste of time for a LOT of us to go down to 42nd like you tell us -- especially when a lot of cabs are ALREADY dropping off passengers on Vanderbilt and can pick us up.

Since there is a sign there that you admit says "no stopping" and only the clueless would realize the stop sign is an allowable exception.

Only an intellectual reject like you would fail to see the irony in conflicting signs. There's NO exception stated, only that there's a stop sign, and another one declaring that there's no stopping.

Then the cops are enforcing the law which is what they do. As i said before, mind your own business and let the cops do thier job.

The cops are merely harassing peaceful people, i.e. cabbies and me, instead of going after real criminals. That's what they've made their jobs.

This statement makes me wonder if you have ever been lived in NYC or just like most people that bother the police while they are working and simply don't have a clue.

I've never lived in the city, thank God. If you didn't notice, I live in Westchester, specifically in the quiet, forested northwest quadrant.

However, since I commute to the city for work and play, and since the city coerces 2% of my salary, you'd better damn well believe that I'll complain about how it uses my tax dollars. Even if I paid nothing to the city, a person STILL has the right to complain about its law enforcement. Or do you not believe in the First Amendment?

You sound just like a good Republican, authoritarian to the end. Did you remember tonight to crouch down and lick the hands that feed you?

Cabs in NYC wait for fares all the time in locations where they know a fare is likely to come along.

What utter bullshit.

If you knew how cabs all over the world worked as you claim then you would know that a cab who has to drive around trolling for fares and wasting gas until he gets flagged down is less effecient than a cab that can stop and stand in a likely area where people will be needing cabs.

Also utter bullshit. Major cities are busy enough that, again, a cabbie who sits around is not making money. All he has to do in NYC is drive down an avenue to find a quick fare. There's NEVER a shortage of passengers.

And again, the converse is that there's such a high demand for cabbies and effectively ZERO delay at Grand Central. Most of the time someone will get dropped off, and a new passenger will get in, with the door needing to be opened just once. Putting luggage in the trunk? Thirty seconds, and that's a rarity. Grand Central is primarily a commuter station. Even so, like I've now said a million times, THE CABS STOPPING DO NOT BLOCK TRAFFIC.

Maybe you don't get out much

Clearly more than you do, bub.

because if you did you would seen all the cabs illegally double parked in front of bars and night clubs from 1-4 AM as they wait for bar patrons who need cabs.

And how long do they stay? Oh, not long at all, you say? Thanks for proving my point. People get cabs, cabbies earn money, and traffic is rarely (if ever) blocked.

This same logic applies to Grand Central because fares are likely to be there. Hey, could that be why there is a designated TAXI STAND at Grand Central... Good, now you are learning.

Answered above. Really, I would be more impressed with your insults if you actually demonstrated a personal knowledge of the city, let alone an intimate one.

You may have noticed there are thousands of cabs in the city and if they were allowed to stop and stand all around Grand Central they would. They would double park on Vanderbilt Ave and take up both traffic lanes if they were allowed too.

Let's exercise some basic economics here. If every cab in the city stopped at Grand Central, the overwhelming supply would exceed demand, and prices would plunge. I mean, good lord, you should pick up even a Krugman economics text so you can learn simple market forces.

A little more complex is the application of game theory: no cabbie would double-park on that two-lane road because he wouldn't want the same done unto him. If you ever do come to the city and take a taxi, you'll have the experience of your life hearing a cabbie curse someone who's blocking the road.

So next time you see a cop you should say "thank you" for making it possible for traffic to move better in this very busy city.

Oh, you mean like how cops helped keep traffic moving during the blackout? Regular uniforms who threw up their hands and said they weren't trained for traffic, while regular citizens got out there and directed traffic?

The only thing I have to say to NYPD is "**** you, pig." Which should be my right, under the First and Ninth Amendments, but the NYPD's actions demonstrate that they don't care about the Constitution. Let's be frank: what do the NYPD do for regular citizens, except harass them at places like subway entrances and popular taxi pick-up points?

And by the way, you can stop implying you're in New York. You clearly don't know the city like you'd like my readers to think.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 2:05:00 AM  
Blogger Paul said...

First off, you didn't make a single valid argument in your entire last comment. Any reasonable person reading this would realize that so there is nothing to refute. But for your sake and benefit I will explain what is wrong with all your faulty arguments so in the future you can improve your debating skills.

you write:
"because every competent driver knows to go around USING THE SECOND LANE.
SECOND LANE.
SECOND LANE. Get it now?"

Yes, I get it, and thank you for making my point. When cars stop in the first lane where they are not allowed to stop this is what happens; Traffic in the first lane comes to a complete stand still and a 2 lane road is turned into a 1 lane road. Cars in the first lane are forced to merge into the second lane creating an unnecessary hazard and delays.

If the sign says "no stopping" on that street then cabs shouldn't even be dropping people off there. You complain that cabs drop people off there but the cops don't let them pick people up. If the cops wanted to they could stop cabs from dropping people off there. They allow it out of courtesy to the cab passengers not out of courtesy to the cabbie who shouldn't be stopping there in the first place.

you wrote:
"it's a waste of time for a LOT of us to go down to 42nd like you tell us"

Okay, then walk a few feet and go around the corner to 43rd street, like the cop you nagged told you to do. Don't be so lazy and get over the self-entitlement about not liking the Police telling you how to do something.

You write:
"Only an intellectual reject like you would fail to see the irony in conflicting signs. There's NO exception stated, only that there's a stop sign, and another one declaring that there's no stopping."

I can't believe I actually have to explain this to you...
The no stopping and no standing signs with the arrows that point up and down the street are for the entire stretch of street. The big red STOP sign at the INTERSECTION is a traffic control device for vehicles to stop at a specific location in front of the STOP sign and then proceed.
I wonder if you trully are confused about this or you are just clutching at straws because you can't think of any real arguments...

I don't advise you do this for the sake of the Police Officer but why don't you go up to a cop on that block and tell him the two signs don't make sense and ask for an explanation. I will be expecting a new Post about how you were treated rudely and like a moron by the NYPD. Ask a really really stupid question or a question that is really just whining and you will get treated like a moron, it's as simple as that.

If you have a problem with the traffic rules on that block and taxi conditions then make your complaint to the DOT (dept of transportation) thats the department that is making these rules and putting up the signs. Cops don't make the laws they enforce them.
Also don't complain to the cop while he is busy in the middle of a car stop. If you do need to talk to a cop and it's not an emergency, wait until the cop is finished with what he/she is doing and then politely ask them if they can help you. Give a little respect and you get it back. Also when you are done, a "thank you" will be appreciated.

You write:
"Also utter bullshit. Major cities are busy enough that, again, a cabbie who sits around is not making money. All he has to do in NYC is drive down an avenue to find a quick fare. There's NEVER a shortage of passengers."

hahaahha, this clearly shows your lack on knowledge about NYC traffic and taxi behavior. What you make a commute during rush hour in midtown Manhattan and now you think you are an expert on all taxi conditions in NYC. What a joke. There is more often than not a shortage of passengers for Taxis, that is why you get all these maniac taxi drivers fighting each other and crossing 4 lanes of traffic cutting each other off to get to a fare first.

I wrote:
"because if you did you would seen all the cabs illegally double parked in front of bars and night clubs from 1-4 AM as they wait for bar patrons who need cabs."

You responded:
"And how long do they stay? Oh, not long at all, you say? Thanks for proving my point. People get cabs, cabbies earn money, and traffic is rarely (if ever) blocked."

You had said, that cabs never sit around waiting for fares. I demonstrated that they do with a bar scene example. So you made my point, thank again. If a cab waited "not long" let's say 2 minutes for a fare and stopped in a traffic lane then he is clogging that lane for 2 minutes. Forcing all cars behind him to stop try to go around. If you drove in NYC you would know what I was talking about. Cabs are neccessary in this city and it's better to have a cab clogging up a traffic lane for 30 seconds as he actively stops to pick up a fare than to have one stop for 2 minutes and 30 seconds waiting for a fare and then loading them up.

You wrote:
"Let's exercise some basic economics here. If every cab in the city stopped at Grand Central, the overwhelming supply would exceed demand, and prices would plunge. I mean, good lord, you should pick up even a Krugman economics text so you can learn simple market forces."

First off you are making stuff up. I never said every cab in the city stopped at Grand Central. Secondly, the point that went over your head is that if cabs were allowed to stop and stand all around Grand Central they would. And that would cause problems. The police enforcing the traffic rules are the REASON they do not and the reason there are no problems. But you are so blinded by your hatred of cops to realize that.

you wrote:
"A little more complex is the application of game theory: no cabbie would double-park on that two-lane road because he wouldn't want the same done unto him. If you ever do come to the city and take a taxi, you'll have the experience of your life hearing a cabbie curse someone who's blocking the road."

Every time you try and say I know nothing about the city you prove that you are the one who is clueless about the city. Cabbies do it all the time, that is why they are contantly beeping their horns at each other and why you hear them cursing each other out. This causes accidents and delays everyone.

You write:
"Let's be frank: what do the NYPD do for regular citizens, except harass them at places like subway entrances and popular taxi pick-up points?"

We will remember you said that when the day you really need us arrives...

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Vigilante said...

Well I sometimes dislike both cab drivers(Especially those damn Indian & African ones) and NYPD. So it's hard to take a side, but in this case I have to agree with the po-po. First of all Vanderbilt isn't that wide of a street for cabs just to sit there waiting for fares. Second don't compare the Abner Louima and Amadou Diallo case to this they didn't shot the driver or shove a stick in his asshole. Cab drivers have to follow the rules just like everyone else. Like my case one day. I really had to take a piss one day and i couldn't hold it. Now I know I could've gotten caught and gotten a summons, but i was willing to take that risk. Now if a cop shoved a stick up my ass that's abuse of power, but if I had gotten caught I would've deserved it. Now for my venting about the asshole police officers, not all officers just a few. I live in Harlem and i was at the Puerto Rican Day Festival on 116th St. & 3rd Av. I had three flags in my hand, one for me, one for my fiancee and one for my nephew. Then all of a sudden someone grabs my arm. Now my first reaction was to punch this guy in the face, but I just told him "You better get your hands off of me right now". That was the clean version of it. So then this guy pulls out a badge and ask me do I have a vendors license. I ask him why should I have one. He says that I'm selling flags. So then I just go off. Then he ask for ID while I'm yelling at him. They do a warrent check as usual assuming that every black and latino is a criminal. Then they tell me they are going to write me three summons'. So now I'm pissed off big time and go off some more. Then they threaten to arrest me if i keep yelling at them. So I told them "Good, I want you to arrest me, I need an extra $5,000,000 in my pocket". As I watched him write the summons' I see about five summons already written out, but I understand now that he is just trying to meet Raymond Kellys' and Michael Bloombergs' money making quotas. So he gave me the summons' and my ID and just walked away. Now I think that an undercover police officer should be doing something better like trying to fool real criminals instead of BS like this, but instead the idiot called Commissioner Kelly is pimping these officers for his boyfriend a homosexual named Mayor Bloomberg. They say that there is a decrease in crime so why do I still see drug dealers all over my neighborhood. Send these undercover cops to take them on instead of bothering people over stupid things.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:41:00 PM  
Anonymous StreetCrime said...

Supply and demand has nothing to do with the price of a taxicab in NYC. The rates are fixed by the TLC. No matter how many yellow cabs are on the street, the price stays the same. If you are hailing a "gypsy" cab, shame on you. They will charge you whatever they want. "Gypsy" cabs are not allowed to pick up a passenger without a prior arrangement. A "gypsy" isn't allowed to accept on hail like a yellow cab.

The DOT is responsible for what signs get installed at a particular location. The NYPD only enforces those regulations.

As for as searching a car for no reason goes...As a mere passerby can you say that the officer didn't stop the car in relation to a radio run for shot fired or "man with a gun"? Do you know if the officer observed the driver or passenger making furtive movements or reaching under the seat? Do you know if the officers chased the car and now are trying to determine why the driver refused to pull over? Perhaps the car show signs of recently being stolen or a computer check shows the car stolen. Perhaps the registration is suspended. If the reg is suspended that means I have the right to tow the car and take the plates. When I tow the car, the law gives me the right to do an inventory search of the car.

Think about those things for a little while.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 4:46:00 PM  
Anonymous The Stop Snitching Alliance said...

You know what Perry. Getting a cop to admit him or his fellow officers are wrong is like trying to get a lifetime hard-on. That Blue Wall Of Silence is a strong force.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:03:00 PM  
Blogger Carlito The Great said...

Well in this Babylon we call the good ol' US of A you have two kinds of people.

You have the people with money. Like Lil' Kim says in "Money, Power, Respect" by The Lox says "First you have to get the money, then you get the power, then you get the respect". The people with money much as our wonderful Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg can get just about any law passed that he wants. So what if it oppresses the less fortunate people it's their world. So what if we the hardworking people pay taxes we're lucky that we have jobs. If it was up to them we would be slaves at their corperations forced to work for free 24/7/365(366 on an election year).

Now you have the people who work hard for every dollar that they get. Only for that dollar to get snatched up by greedy politicians. So even if a billion summons' have to be written in a year it fine as long as they get the money. Now what does the officer get in return. The hope of one day being in Kelly's spot so he too one day can be the mayor's main whore. As the saying goes "Money talks and Bulls**t walks". So I guess we hard working people are considered the bulls**t. Oh yeah mister officer you aren't in the people with money catergory.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:05:00 PM  
Anonymous YeahThatsRight said...

The New York City Police Department is the greatest and the finest Police Department in the whole world.
"THANK YOU OFFICERS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR THIS CITY AND KEEPING US SAFE."!!!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think about it. W/ that is going on, you're main gripe is having to take a taxi at another spot. Dude, you're a tool.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:51:00 PM  
Blogger Carlito The Great said...

"YeahThatsRight said...

The New York City Police Department is the greatest and the finest Police Department in the whole world.
"THANK YOU OFFICERS FOR ALL YOU DO FOR THIS CITY AND KEEPING US SAFE."!!!!"

Well that's your opinion. Do you know what they say about opinions? They're like assholes, because everyone has one. It's unbelievable but NYPD has done more wrong to me than Al-Qaeda. Imagine that!!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

NYPD more harm then Al-qaeda? Oh man, somebody call this kids parents, who let him on the computer?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:52:00 PM  
Blogger Carlito The Great said...

When those towers fell nobody in my family died and it didn't affect my life that much. Now an officer of the NYPD is resposible for my father's death. I can't blame that on Bin Laden. He didn't shoot my father in cold blood because my father was actually trying to get the drugs out of the community and the officer just happened to be friends with the drug lord of the area. Bin Laden didn't ever come to me and falsly arrest me because some white man thought that i was the one who robbed him because I happened to be wearing a LA Dodgers fitted hat that everyone should be free to wear but since the robber had the same hat i spend three days in fort apache(42nd prec.).

So since you're so smart you tell me who I should really hate.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

First off, you didn't make a single valid argument in your entire last comment.

It's not my fault you have a serious reading comprehension problem and can't understand my very plain English.

Any reasonable person reading this would realize that so there is nothing to refute.

Well, you're the one admitting your arguments are meaningless...

But for your sake and benefit I will explain what is wrong with all your faulty arguments so in the future you can improve your debating skills.

you write:
"because every competent driver knows to go around USING THE SECOND LANE.
SECOND LANE.
SECOND LANE. Get it now?"

Yes, I get it, and thank you for making my point. When cars stop in the first lane where they are not allowed to stop this is what happens; Traffic in the first lane comes to a complete stand still and a 2 lane road is turned into a 1 lane road. Cars in the first lane are forced to merge into the second lane creating an unnecessary hazard and delays.


Once more, you clearly aren't from New York. Drivers, especially cabbies, move like lightning through stopped traffic. To reiterate, I've NEVER seen a traffic problem at that intersection caused by taxis -- only by NYPD who block things off for whatever reason.

Do you get it now? Are you really so bereft of gray matter?

If the sign says "no stopping" on that street then cabs shouldn't even be dropping people off there.

Why don't you pass that along to the NYPD so that you can further inconvenience? Why not have that entrance to Grand Central closed off while you're at it?

You complain that cabs drop people off there but the cops don't let them pick people up. If the cops wanted to they could stop cabs from dropping people off there. They allow it out of courtesy to the cab passengers not out of courtesy to the cabbie who shouldn't be stopping there in the first place.

Good lord, the rest of us would really hate to live in your Orwellian world. NORMAL people do not like living by police and bureaucrat decree as to where we can stop, go, enter and exit.

you wrote:
"it's a waste of time for a LOT of us to go down to 42nd like you tell us"

Okay, then walk a few feet and go around the corner to 43rd street, like the cop you nagged told you to do. Don't be so lazy and get over the self-entitlement about not liking the Police telling you how to do something.


Since you're clearly not a New Yorker, you don't know the situation. Let me explain it to you, and I'll try to use very small words.

The sidewalk on the north side of 43rd Street has been under construction for the last long while, and the barriers make it difficult to just stand there. Moreover, the parked vehicles make 43rd a ONE-WAY STREET from Vanderbilt to Madison Avenues, so if a cab stops on 43rd to pick up a passenger, that DOES stop everyone behind -- unlike when cabs stop on Vanderbilt.

I can't believe I actually have to explain this to you...
The no stopping and no standing signs with the arrows that point up and down the street are for the entire stretch of street. The big red STOP sign at the INTERSECTION is a traffic control device for vehicles to stop at a specific location in front of the STOP sign and then proceed.
I wonder if you trully are confused about this or you are just clutching at straws because you can't think of any real arguments...


There's no wonder here, except mine at your limited intellectual capacity. If you actually knew what I was talking about, you'd wonder at the irony too...assuming you have at least a double-digit IQ.

Think about it logically before you next post on my blog. Are you saying that there ARE exceptions to traffic signs? If there are, why not an implied exception for the sake of cabbies' and passengers' convenience?

I don't advise you do this for the sake of the Police Officer but why don't you go up to a cop on that block and tell him the two signs don't make sense and ask for an explanation. I will be expecting a new Post about how you were treated rudely and like a moron by the NYPD. Ask a really really stupid question or a question that is really just whining and you will get treated like a moron, it's as simple as that.

You mean like how you're asking stupid questions on my blog, and how I'm treating you like the moron you evidently are?

Considering the intelligence requirements to join the NYPD, I expect little more out of the average uniforms than grunts and swear words.

If you have a problem with the traffic rules on that block and taxi conditions then make your complaint to the DOT (dept of transportation) thats the department that is making these rules and putting up the signs. Cops don't make the laws they enforce them.

HAHA! That's a good one. Complain to the government? Are you really so naive, or are you just willfully ignorant of history?

You really must have boot black all over your lips. Cops enforce the laws AS THEY SEE FIT, because of their attitude that "they ARE the law."

Also don't complain to the cop while he is busy in the middle of a car stop. If you do need to talk to a cop and it's not an emergency, wait until the cop is finished with what he/she is doing and then politely ask them if they can help you. Give a little respect and you get it back. Also when you are done, a "thank you" will be appreciated.

Do you suppose Amadou Diallo said "thank you" to the NYPD?

The one I asked wasn't doing anything but hanging around on the sidewalk. It was his partner handing out tickets. Nice try, but no points.

hahaahha, this clearly shows your lack on knowledge about NYC traffic and taxi behavior. What you make a commute during rush hour in midtown Manhattan and now you think you are an expert on all taxi conditions in NYC. What a joke. There is more often than not a shortage of passengers for Taxis, that is why you get all these maniac taxi drivers fighting each other and crossing 4 lanes of traffic cutting each other off to get to a fare first.

Since I take cabs at least five days a week, and I'm actually doing it in New York, yes, I'm an expert compared to you.

Thank you for proving my point, though you are still incorrect. The taxis are ON THE MOVE. They're not standing, despite your claim that that's the norm. If you ever do visit New York, try flagging down a cab anywhere. The shortage is quite the reverse of what you think.

You had said, that cabs never sit around waiting for fares. I demonstrated that they do with a bar scene example. So you made my point, thank again.

You really do have a reading comprehension problem, don't you? I said that if cabs ever do that, they never wait for long. In other words, they're not standing. The simple reason is that if they do, they're not making money.

Good cabbies look for fares instead of waiting for fares to show up. New York Hack recently quoted her dispatcher, who said that better-paid people take car services, and "Cab drivers are just sweeping the streets." Sweeping, as in MOTION.

He's incorrect, though, about those earning $70K+ using car services. Maybe years ago, but not today.

If a cab waited "not long" let's say 2 minutes for a fare and stopped in a traffic lane then he is clogging that lane for 2 minutes. Forcing all cars behind him to stop try to go around.

Two minutes is lost money. What world do you live in that you think a semi-decent cabbie would wait around that long?

If you drove in NYC you would know what I was talking about.

I have before, but I try not to. Have YOU ever?

Cabs are neccessary in this city and it's better to have a cab clogging up a traffic lane for 30 seconds as he actively stops to pick up a fare than to have one stop for 2 minutes and 30 seconds waiting for a fare and then loading them up.

Thank you for proving my point all along, that cabs need to stay on the move -- assuming the cabbie wants to make money.

First off you are making stuff up. I never said every cab in the city stopped at Grand Central.

No, but you said they would if allowed: "You may have noticed there are thousands of cabs in the city and if they were allowed to stop and stand all around Grand Central they would. They would double park on Vanderbilt Ave and take up both traffic lanes if they were allowed too."

Your foot, your mouth.

Secondly, the point that went over your head is that if cabs were allowed to stop and stand all around Grand Central they would. And that would cause problems.

Once again, basic supply and demand dictates that they wouldn't, but I apologize that the first lesson of microeconomics goes "whoosh" over you.

The police enforcing the traffic rules are the REASON they do not and the reason there are no problems.

Utter bullshit, like everything else you say. ECONOMICS is why they don't, because if heavy traffic prevents them from moving, they're not making as much money ("slow traffic" as opposed to active movement). Additionally, no one would bother to take a cab when the subway would be much faster.

But you are so blinded by your hatred of cops to realize that.

My "hatred" of cops? Now who's making stuff up?

Every time you try and say I know nothing about the city you prove that you are the one who is clueless about the city. Cabbies do it all the time, that is why they are contantly beeping their horns at each other and why you hear them cursing each other out. This causes accidents and delays everyone.

Cursing each other? That's a laugh. Cabbies honk and curse at the vans and regular drivers who don't know how to keep on the move, not each other.

Game theory, kiddo, but that's apparently too complex for you.

We will remember you said that when the day you really need us arrives...

Thanks for showing your colors, pig. Why don't you let me pack my own heat, and I'll defend myself better than you ever could?




To vigilante:

Well I sometimes dislike both cab drivers(Especially those damn Indian & African ones) and NYPD.

I rarely run into a bad cabbie, and my experience is that the foreigners are usually the friendliest.

So it's hard to take a side, but in this case I have to agree with the po-po. First of all Vanderbilt isn't that wide of a street for cabs just to sit there waiting for fares.

Let me explain once again. The cabs don't stand on Vanderbilt. They pause to pick up, and then they drive off.

Second don't compare the Abner Louima and Amadou Diallo case to this they didn't shot the driver or shove a stick in his asshole.

My reference was to obvious cases of NYPD brutality, but we forget the little things that add up to a lot.

Cab drivers have to follow the rules just like everyone else. Like my case one day. I really had to take a piss one day and i couldn't hold it. Now I know I could've gotten caught and gotten a summons, but i was willing to take that risk. Now if a cop shoved a stick up my ass that's abuse of power, but if I had gotten caught I would've deserved it.

Erm, I'm glad I didn't get in your cab that day.



To streetcrime:

Gee, did you walk into the middle of a conversation you don't understand. I never said supply and demand influence the price of a taxi. Kindly scroll back up and read again.

The DOT is responsible for what signs get installed at a particular location. The NYPD only enforces those regulations.

The NYPD, as I said before, enforces things only as they see fit.

As for as searching a car for no reason goes...As a mere passerby can you say that the officer didn't stop the car in relation to a radio run for shot fired or "man with a gun"? Do you know if the officer observed the driver or passenger making furtive movements or reaching under the seat? Do you know if the officers chased the car and now are trying to determine why the driver refused to pull over? Perhaps the car show signs of recently being stolen or a computer check shows the car stolen. Perhaps the registration is suspended. If the reg is suspended that means I have the right to tow the car and take the plates. When I tow the car, the law gives me the right to do an inventory search of the car.

Think about those things for a little while.


I could readily observe that the NYPD were stopping cabs merely for picking up passengers, period. They were on foot, so somehow I doubt your suggestion that they chased someone down. Oh, and perhaps you'd like to point me to an incident where a cab was used in a crime, and the cabbie was stupid enough to go around picking up passengers?

You know, you really should read the entire conversation before jumping in and making a fool out of yourself. Or is "Paul" astroturfing?




To the rest:

There are indeed many New Yorkers who have been harmed more by the NYPD than terrorists. "Vigilante" is proof that the NYPD might as well be domestic terrorists. At least al Qaeda do not have the immunity of badges and the illusion of law being on their side. But to paraphrase George Washington, instead of having the law on your side, shouldn't you be on the side of the law?

Who's the tool, those of us who question authority and want to be in charge of our own destiny, or Paul "Boot-lickin' good" Le Pig and his lackeys who believe people should bow to government?

What's the matter, Paul, do you really need to boost your ego by making people depend on you for their safety, and bringing all your friends over?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:23:00 PM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

Because I've had to delete a couple of comments (even more ridiculous in their personal attacks than Paul's), further comments are being closed.

Can't you authoritarian boot-lickers keep it at least a LITTLE civil?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 9:25:00 PM  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home