Wednesday, May 10, 2006

American Idol: I'm really pissed off

Until a few weeks ago, the only "American Idol" I ever saw was the finale between Reuben Stoddard and Clay Aiken. I was visiting my best friend in California at the time, and I thought I'd see what the hubbub was about. I started watching this season because Rod Stewart was going to coach them on songs from his "Great American Songbook" albums, which I love. I wasn't sure that it was Ace's time to go, but his performance that night was indeed mediocre.

Kelly has a good country voice, but it was too thin for "Unchained Melody" -- or, frankly, any other song requiring rich vocals.

I didn't know the Prince or Mary J. Blige songs that Paris sang, so I can't judge her there, but I was so saddened to see her go. I thought she had the best voice of the last several contestants.

My favorite is Taylor simply because he's fun to watch. His "Jailhouse Rock" was a hoot to watch; I don't think it was "karaoke" like Simon and one of my co-workers think. "In the Ghetto" was very well done, showing he doesn't need to dance to do a good performance. Chris was fantastic on both of his songs, especially the second one. I wasn't familiar with it, but something told me that it properly starts slowly and picks up at the end. My highest compliments, Chris, for staying faithful to the King's rendition. Elliot likewise was fantastic, and I agree, better than I had heard him before. He and Chris were the two best of the night. Between Taylor and Katherine, I would have kept Taylor.

So, tonight really me pissed off. Chris is gone?! I still can't believe it. Are people really that stupid? Katherine should have been tossed after her last several performances, which were consistently poor (last night's were nothing short of awful). She has a good voice and can sing well if she sticks to her limitations. Her range and vocal power are not as great as they appear, otherwise she wouldn't have to screech through every song. My dad was a vocal purist and taught me to be the same, so every time she can't sing a note with a pure tone and shrieks to hide that fact, I practically get a headache. What particularly grates me is when she tries to put her own style into songs, which just doesn't work, particularly when she can't hold a note and must warble to disguise it. But I guess she's getting a lot of the male hormone vote. Sheesh.

I'm done with the show. I won't ever watch it again on my own initiative. This season has turned out to be a farce.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Katharine survived on the male hormone vote. Elliott did well this weekend, but I think it's going to come down to Taylor vs. Katharine, largely because I think Elliott has been too inconsistent...

What you might want to check out, though, is dialidol.com. They measure busy signals, and Taylor has consistently been in first place for the last 4-5 weeks. I think he's going to take it this year. They predicted Katharine & Chris in the bottom two this past week, with Katharine a hair above Chris, but still within the margin of error.

Thursday, May 11, 2006 11:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KATHARINE IS A HOTTIE. SHE HAS ALL YOU NEED TO BE A POP IDOL IN THIS DAY AND AGE. IF CHRIS HAD WON THIS LAME COMPETITION HIS ROCKER CREDIBILITY WOULD HAVE BEEN DOWN THE DRAIN. THIS IS A BLESSING FOR HIM. I HEARD HE ALREADY HAS AN OFFER TO BE LEAD SINGER OF AN ESTABLISHED AND POPULAR ROCK BAND. SO BUCK UP! MORE TATTAS FOR US MY FRIEND, MORE TATTAS.

LORD BONER HAS SPOKEN...

Friday, May 12, 2006 3:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home