Sunday, March 19, 2006

Songs that evoke memories

I love a good song, especially if it has great lyrics. Sometimes I'll forever associate a particular song with someone. I used to love "The Promise" by When in Rome, which plays at the very end of "Napoleon Dynamite" (which I saw tonight for the first time, a very strange movie).

If you need a friend, don't look to a stranger
You know in the end, I'll always be there
And when you're in doubt, and when you're in danger
Take a look all around, and I'll be there

I'm sorry, but I'm just thinking of the right words to say (I promise)
I know they don't sound the way I planned them to be (I promise)
But if you wait around a while, I'll make you fall for me
I promise, I promise you I will


Coincidentally, I had been thinking of it last week. From the first time I heard it, I always loved its every facet: the introduction, the beat and synth (80s synthpop is one of my favorite genres), and especially the lyrics. The one day, it became a permanent reminder of someone who also loved that song. She even called it "our song"...including on the day she hurt me with the greatest cruelty imaginable. After that, I couldn't listen to the song without the taste of bile filling my mouth. I've just listened to it several times, though, and apparently enough time has passed that I can tolerate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home