Monday, March 27, 2006

The highlight of her day?

This morning I was getting breakfast in the cafeteria, as I do every morning at work. I said "good morning" to the cashier, who then just stared at me for a few seconds before catching herself. She has seen me many times before, but my fresh highlights apparently got her attention. They're rather different for me, it's true. I have my hair highlighted every three or four months, usually some shade of gold, perhaps flax, to complement my very black hair. The ones I got this weekend are, well, quite blond.

My usual stylist (Carol at C&C Unisex in the Danbury Fair Mall, worth making appointments for) knows my hair and always does a great job, but she can't do highlights. So when I want mine redone, Carol trims my hair a little, another stylist does the highlights, then Carol finishes cutting. For a long while, I had the same stylist do my hair, but then she moved. Since then, I've had several different people do my highlights, each one a little differently. The latest one suggested very light highlights, and I think the jury is still out. The color will darken, anyway, as I shampoo frequently, but I don't think I'll get them this light again.

My cold was bad enough on Thursday and Friday, but I had so much to do at work and couldn't dream of taking time off. Despite getting a lot of sleep starting Thursday night, my cold and fatigue got worse. I would have stayed in bed all weekend, but I extricated myself to get a haircut, and besides, no medical condition short of a coma will stop a man on a quest for good brew. A co-worker recommended I try Saison Dupont, and at the same time I picked up a six-pack of McEwan's Scotch Ale.

Saison Dupont is quite good, and fascinating (to me) because of its background as a "Belgian farmhouse ale." I still prefer Chimay, though. Maybe Chimay Grande Réserve has spoiled me with its rich and dark character. Maybe I became prejudiced because my initial reaction to Saison Dupont, when uncorking the bottle and pouring, was that the nose and color were like a common pilsner. Maybe I was just too congested, which would be a true pity. I sighed to my co-worker this morning that I've had perhaps a third of the 750 mL bottle, and since Saison Dupont doesn't keep well after opening, I'll have to drink the rest tonight (tomorrow at the latest).

My co-worker was very right about not chilling the Saison Dupont too much. It does taste better when only a little cold, so don't frost your mug. I had it in the refrigerator for a good while, and the taste definitely improved after I let my glass sit out for a bit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried Hennepin farmhouse ale? I'm assuming being up there in NY, you probably have, but if not, it's pretty good... It's part of the Ommegang lineup...

I've been getting much more into the big IPA's lately though... The more hops, the better! :-)

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:28:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn... Being interrupted at a tradeshow made me forget the purpose of my comments! My biggest problem with Belgians is trying to keep them at the right chill level... Constantly putting them into and taking them out of the fridge to try to keep a 55 degree chill can be annoying... Maybe, as an engineer, I should come up with a solution for the Beer Advocates out there!

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:32:00 AM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

I haven't tried Hennepin, no, but I will keep an eye out for it.

You should design a refrigerator specifically for beer with precise temperature control. A man's properly sized beer fridge should be, what, 20 cubic feet?

Monday, March 27, 2006 11:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perry - For the cold thing, the next time you feel like you're coming down with something, take some Zicam. Works like a charm.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 3:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home