Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The sickest "Christmas" display ever

Every weekday evening, I buy a copy of the New York Post to read on the train ride home. Today's (Tuesday's) front page story, complete with picture, was about the most vile Christmas display ever: a bloody Santa, wielding a knife in one hand, and holding the bloodied, eyeless head of a doll in the other hand. From the tree branches hang several Barbie doll heads.

You can view the front page cover by clicking here, but be prepared. It's not gory, but it is revolting. I don't want to include the picture itself in this entry.

Until I read what Krupnik said, I always thought everyone knew Christmas was based as much in tradition as in religion. I am a Christian, and I still sing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" along with traditional Christ-oriented Christmas carols. That doesn't mean I believe in self-levitating antlered mammalia, one of whom has a luminous proboscis. I also recognize Christ was more likely born in springtime, but that doesn't mitigate how I celebrate my Savior's birth at a commonly accepted time with everyone else of my faith.

Sadly, this family does have every right to put up that display. It harms no one as far as life, liberty and property. But that doesn't mean the rest of us can't look at them as absolutely nuts. I wonder what kind of upbringing their children have had that their teenage daughter based this perversion of Santa on a horror movie.

There's also the possibility they did it, knowing some rag like the Post would put their story in the paper. They're having their 15 minutes.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

related:

www.local6.com/news/5491296/detail.html

posted without comment

Thursday, December 15, 2005 8:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home