Sunday, December 18, 2005

Questing for the perfect shave

Back in October, I talked a little about how "A man needs a fine blade" for shaving. Like my father, I liked Gillette Sensor Excels: they're inexpensive, shave very close, and last a long time. However, starting a few weeks ago, I suddenly stopped getting a good shave around my chin and neck, even with a new blade. My electric razor, a Braun knock-off that works just as well as the genuine article, still did its usual decent job, but not the baby-smooth shave I'm accustomed to. I shave against the direction of growth so that I shave the hair as close to the skin as possible.

So it was time to look for a new razor. I examined the assortment of Norelcos, whose "lift and cut" operation never impressed me as smooth, avoided the notorious Remingtons, then figured I'd try a Gillette M3Power Nitro. So far, I love it. It's much better than the Mach3, which I tried four years ago and found wanting. The new blade did tear up my face, but only a little, and nothing like other blades. (It's not unknown that a new Sensor Excel blade will leave me bleeding from many pores on my neck.) I'm once again getting the perfectly smooth shave I demand, though I wonder what happened that Sensor Excels no longer cut it (no pun intended).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the M3 Power. I also tend to shave against the growth for a closer shave. I'm cursed: I don't grow anything well enough to make a good-looking beard, but if I don't get a close shave in the morning, it grows in quickly enough for a 5 o'clock shadow. The M3 Power is the absolute best I've found so far for a very close shave without irritation.

What do you recommend as far as an electric? I'd love to have something easy to use as a daily shave, since I face irritation if I shave every day with any normal razor.

Sunday, December 18, 2005 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

I turned the Remington mention into a link, where Glenn Reynolds talked a little about a bad Norelco imitation he bought by mistake. Definitely avoid those.

Personally I prefer the Braun foil style to the Norelco circular motion, though it doesn't do a perfectly smooth shave on my neck. As a teenager, I was delighted with a Braun as a Christmas present. The only problem is that the foils are very delicate, tear easily, and are relatively expensive to replace.

As I mentioned in my original shaving entry, I like this $4 imitation that's as good as real Brauns. It doesn't have rechargeable batteries built in, but if you already have a charger, it's only several dollars more for a couple of AAs.

Monday, December 19, 2005 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Mike said...

My first experience with an M3 Power was getting my head shaved (friend is going through chemo). I absolutely love it, and I'm probably gonna convince my parents to buy me one for Christmas.

As for being "cursed," well, the USAF tends to look down upon beards...and they also tend to look down upon a shadow at those afternoon formations, so its against the growth for me as well.

Monday, December 19, 2005 4:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home