Friday, December 16, 2005

Meeting Don Luskin

Update: you might say that I made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

My blogfather Don Luskin was in New York City for a couple of days, and very close to where I work in midtown. Tonight I had the pleasure of meeting him for a drink.

I'll simply say that Don is a great guy. He was surprised I've never read any Ayn Rand, except for some quotes, so at his recommendation and urging, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged have been moved to the top of my reading list. What I think also surprised him is my very individualist brand of Protestant Christianity. I reject the notion of priestly hierarchies, believing that Christ destroyed all priestly barriers between people and God. "The church" as I have always read from the New Testament is simply the collective term for the body of believers, not priestly authority. As the sole intercessor, I believe Christ has made it possible for people to commune directly with God, without the need for a high priest as of old. I also believe in a God who has given men very free will, and wants a personal relationship with each person.

When you get into it, there are some things that could be seen as contradictory, but like with much of religion, it does come down to faith.

1 Comments:

Blogger TKC said...

I tried to read Atlas Shrugged and We, the Living and put both of them down. Those two stories moved along like a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut-butter. From what I've read about these works I'm most likely in agreement with her ideology. That said, her style of writing put me to sleep.

Friday, December 16, 2005 7:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home