Monday, September 19, 2005

A pub that can't make a daiquiri?

When starting a new job, I enjoy sampling the local establishments at lunchtime. "Cassidy's Pub and Restaurant" in midtown is just half an avenue from my work, and I was surprised they couldn't make a daiquiri (it felt so hot today, and that was the only drink on my mind). I guess that as an Irish pub, they're just into brews and easily mixed drinks. It's nonetheless quite a pleasant place that must be doing something right, as they're packed during the noon hour. Most of the men sounded native Irish with their brogues, and the four young women tending bar had pronounced Irish lilts.

I elected to precede my Reuben with a Heineken, which I shouldn't have consumed as I did before my sandwich arrived. I had a blood test this morning that required fasting since yesterday evening, so on an empty stomach, drinking it so quickly gave me a sudden and mildly uncomfortable buzz (which wore off before I headed back to the office).

3 Comments:

Blogger Scorpius said...

I never drink during the week, especially if I am working. I have a weird metabolism where I can easily hide the effects of several drinks but cannot hide the effects of one drink. I tend to slur a lot after one beer, but after four or five my pronunciation is very clear. But, that is just me...

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Perry Eidelbus said...

I'm generally good about holding my liquor, provided I've eaten.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:11:00 AM  
Blogger TKC said...

Bacon: What's that?
Samoan Joe's Barman: It's a cocktail. You asked for a cocktail.
Bacon: No. I asked for a refreshing drink! I didn't expect a ****ing rainforest? I could fall in love with an orangutan in that! Bring me a pint.
Samoan Joe's Barman: You want a pint, you go to the pub.
Bacon: This is a pub!
Samoan Joes Barman: It's a Samoan pub.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home