Friday, April 01, 2005

Time to reveal myself

I haven't posted a picture of myself, but it's time to confess who I really am. I'm actually...



Yeah, it's me, Maureen Dowd. You have no idea how hard it's been to maintain this fake "Perry" persona for the last month.

And you want to know something else? Check today's date.

On a serious note, I'd like to tell you "April Fools!" when talking about how bloated our state and federal governments have become, or the constant attacks on the Bill of Rights. I want to say, "I had you there!" when talking about our insane tax system, how every dollar in taxes discourages an average of 20 cents of economic output. If only it really were a joke that Social Security is about to melt down. (Even the real Maureen Dowd admitted a couple of years ago it's in a "crisis," although it was just to bash President Bush. Once Bush started talking about fixing it, Dowd became silent while Krugman started claiming there's no crisis.)

Every one of those is a true problem, not a joke or a hoax, but we can do something about them. Nor do we need a Constitutional Convention, like some think: our Constitution is just fine. The first step isn't even to get rid of activist judges, who would muck up a new Constitution just as easily as our current one. No, the first step is to look inside ourselves and ask, do we really believe government should be our nanny? Do we really like being state-worshippers who hand over our taxes, hoping big government will give us our dollar's worth?

We need to change our hearts first, and then we can elect good leaders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home