Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Stuck like...mussels?

Kaichang Li, a biochemist, and his research group have synthesized glue based on mussels' natural adhesive.
"The plywood we make with this adhesive can be boiled for several hours and the adhesive holds as strong as ever," Li said. "Regular plywood bonded with urea-formaldehyde resins could never do that."
If I may say so, that is just way cool. Right now the glue might be too expensive to be practical, but some years down the line, it'll be an economical alternative.

Personally, I don't really care for mussels or oysters as food. Clams are ok in dip, but the only way I like them is in chowder (preferably New England style). The only mollusca I care to eat is squid. The Morgan Stanley retail branch where I worked often has catered lunches, and it was a tragedy that we stopped ordering from this local restaurant. It has particularly excellent calamari.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home