Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'm a bit annoyed

Like I said in my previous entry, those of us who want the government to get out of "charity" are not talking about eliminating all charity. Well, someone accused me of being unchristian, and I'm pretty offended. I left the following reply:
nicholas, perhaps you should do me the courtesy of reading my entire blog before accusing me of having no charity? I think that would be the "Christian" thing to do, i.e. make a judgment against someone only when you have all the facts at your disposal?

I have never once spoken out against charity -- REAL charity. But I continually speak out against government taking money from us under the guise of "charity." Haven't several decades of "taking from the haves and giving to the have-nots" shown you that government doesn't care how well its "charitable" programs perform? After all, it's not government's money. It has no incentive to give money in the most efficient manner to the most deserving. It doesn't care if those in genuine need slip through the cracks, while others who could support themselves get public assistance. It doesn't care that 40 years of "war on poverty" hasn't done a whit of difference and in fact has encouraged more people to stay on the public dole.

Really, you might want to take a closer look at my blog to see what I'm talking about.
http://eidelblog.blogspot.com/2005/04/what-kind-of-privatization-is-this.html

Now, Christ was not merely a "Jew" who cited the Torah as why we should act charitably. Remember that "charity" in the KJV is translated today as "love," which is what true charity is: love for each other. Christ said, "This _I_ command you, that ye love one another." He didn't say, "I gave this to Moses as the Law, that you love one another." Christ said that it was HIS command to us.
In retrospect, I should have said at the start "sufficient facts" instead of "all the facts." It's not always possible to have complete information at your disposal. That notwithstanding, the rest of my comment is appropriate. I'm more than a little indignant here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home