Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Dale Franks of Q and O on Terri

Wise words indeed:
I'm troubled by the fact that Ms. Schiavo is not in a coma, or on life support, and we are ordering her to be bumped off. I'm bothered by how easily the right to die becomes the right to kill. I'm bothered by the fact that perhaps someone who let it be known to her husband that she would rather die than live in a PVS is being forced to live for more than a decade. It bothers me that the parents have offered to pay for Ms. Schiavo's treatment and allow Mr. Schiavo to keep the money and he refuses.
Her husband didn't start trying to starve her until he met his girlfriend in 1997, which as I said in my previous post is sinister. My father always warned me to beware of concidences.

I have to disagree on a couple of things, though:
It bothers me that elected representatives condemn Mr. Schiavo for having a girlfriend and children by her, as if he was supposed to put his life on hold while his wife remains in a PVS.
But she's not a vegetable, and even if she were, what happened to the "in sickness and in health" portion of the traditional wedding vow? It doesn't say, "Unless you're brain damaged, in which case I'll have your feeding terminated once I hook up with another woman."
It bothers me that the pro-life people are essentially calling Mr. Schiavo and his supporters murderers. It bothers me that those on Mr. Schiavo's side consider their opponents to be ignorant Christers who want to pull us back into the Dark Ages.

In fact, everything about this case bothers me. I can't think of a single thing I like.
I'm a Christian, and I do think this is cold, calculated murder. Method and opportunity are evident: the only question is motive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home